Dr Vanessa Pilkington
BSc Psychology, MSc Addictions, C.Psychol
Dr Vanessa Pilkington is a psychologist registered with The Health and Care Professions Council (HPC).
She has a wealth of experience working with patients in both NHS and private clinic settings, having worked in the National Health Service (NHS) and the voluntary sector for 10 years before setting up her independent practice in 2010.
Dr Pilkington treats patients using integrative psychological counselling sessions, drawing on various approaches such as solution focused, cognitive behavioural, person centred, psychodynamic and acceptance and commitment therapy.
Her interests include the varying ways individuals experience emotional and psychological suffering.
She has completed PhD research into differing individual experiences of depression and has contributed to publications including The Article Magazine, The Daily Telegraph and a book called Dialogues between Psychoanalysis and Architecture.
Dr Vanessa Pilkington speaks English and Italian and is covered by almost all the health insurers.
Her specialties include
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Body dysmorphia
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
- Relationship counselling
- Substance misuse
- Compulsive and impulsive behaviours
- Bereavement counselling
- Psychosomatic illness
- Family/couple therapy
- Alcohol and substance abuse
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Chronic pain
- Low self-esteem
- Mood disorder
- Post natal depression (PND)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Life transitions and adjustments
- Therapeutic services for those working in the Media and Entertainment Industry